Thursday, August 9, 2007


Currently I am spending a few days in St. George...spending some time with my Shelley Belly (she use to love that little nick name) and David. David and Shelley moved here April of this year. It has been a very fun stopping place on the way to as well as from Las Vegas. A few times as a family we have all enjoyed a few days of playing, especially my honeymoon and family time prior to Kyle leaving on his mission. Currently Shelley and David are thinking of heading back to school in Cedar City so I do not know how much longer we will be able to enjoy this fun house here in St. George. One thing for sure we will always have the precious memories.

I have always loved the St. George area. I recall as a youth coming up to the dedication of the St. George Temple...St. George, Utah was named in honor of Mormon apostle George A. Smith, also known as the “Potato Saint” because he urged early settlers to eat raw, unpeeled potatoes to cure scurvy. This was an interesting fact I liked learning as Brent's family loves potatoes. I think they could eat them every day...Now that I know they are loaded with vitamin c maybe I can get them to eat raw unpeeled potatoes hummmm well it saves on energy (from cooking). Cooked smashed potatoes served with gravy or lots of corn on top of the potatoes is the standard dish always served on Fast Sundays at Great Grandpa and Grandma Elliotts. At first when I came into this family I murmur about their unhealty potatoes. Well since then yea...there long time family tradition has grown on me!!!

Some other facts I have learned about the Saint George Temple are:
The St. George Utah Temple is the only temple completed during Brigham Young's 30-year tenure as president of the Church.
The St. George Utah Temple was the first temple built in Utah.
The St. George Utah Temple is the oldest operating temple of the Church.
The St. George Temple has more sealing rooms than any other temple, a total of 18.
The St. George Temple originally followed the design of the Nauvoo and Kirtland Temples, featuring an assembly hall and an instruction hall partitioned for presenting the endowment.
Endowments for the dead were first performed in the St. George Utah Temple.
The St. George Temple, Salt Lake Temple, and Palmyra New York Temple are the three operating temples dedicated on April 6.
I recieved my endowments at the Saint George, Utah temple...
I own a numbered beautiful drawing of this Temple drawn by a local artist...I love it!!!

4 comments:

Brent's Family said...

Another interesting fact: smashing them and adding lots of butter to the patato enables the vitamine C to travel readily directly into the blood stream. Healthy fact, Huh.... Hope you are having fun!!
Love Brent (the man who stole Shelley's mother);-)

Meet the Elliott's said...

My dear husband....I love you!!!You are the definition of a potatoe junkie...LOL

Lila said...

Brent! You are full of it! That isn't a fact! It isn't even true!

Brent's Family said...

Yes some people just can't handle the truth:-)
I am only trying to help....