Saturday, December 20, 2008

Candy Time!!!



Well for a number of years the Elliott ladies have been getting together at Christmas to make Candy. I missed it last year for what reason I do not remember. To be truthful when it comes to evenings I hate going anywhere!!! I am a grouch sometimes when I do. I went this year and I liked it. I should because cooking is my thing. We made a lot of stuff. Thanks to Jean who did most of the work of organizing assignments.
Every thing taste good...my favorite I think was the Cashew Brittle(peanut brittle)
We made...
Peanut Butter Balls
Fudge
Divinity
English Toffee
Cherrie Chocolates
Peanut Brittle
Soft Caramels

BUTTERY PEANUT BRITTLE

Yield: 2 1/2 lbs

2 c. sugar
1 c. light corn syrup
1/2 c. water
1 c. butter (do not substitute margarine)
2 c. peanuts (or nuts of your choice)*
1 tsp. soda

Combine sugar, corn syrup and water in a 3-quart saucepan. Cook and stir unti sugar dissolves. When syrup boils, blend in butter. Stir frequently after mixture reaches syrup stage (230 degrees). Add nuts when temperature reaches soft crack stage (280 degrees) and stir constantly until temperature reaches the hard crack stage (305 degrees). Remove from heat. Quickly stir in soda, mixing thoroughly. Pour onto two lightly greased cookie sheets and spread out and allow to cool. Loosen from pans as soon as possible and turn over. Break into pieces.

I have used a regular peanut brittle recipe and added other nuts instead of peanuts. The only thing you must do different is add them at the end of the cooking period rather than cooking them in the hot syrup, as you must do with the raw Spanish peanuts.

1 comment:

jmom said...

It was a fun evening. Somehow the candy multiplied as we made it - but next year we'll know more - if we remember :)