Thursday, May 8, 2008

Mother's....Grandmother's

As a young girl I lost my mother to cancer at the age of eleven. I remember the feeling I had as I took on the role from oldest daughter, sister, to being my sibling's mother. It was hard, overwhelming, yet at times wonderful. Along the years I would watch and admire other mothers just hoping I could become better as a person and mother myself. I could see by watching other woman the power they had over the outcome of their children. When my children were very young I spent much time pondering what to do, how to do it, all those worries that go through a mother's mind. At one time I remember praying to my Heavenly Father and asking him how do I become a mother that my children will look up to, listen to, come to for advise ect. I did not want to be a ruler over them just a great teacher. I did not want them to say oh our mother's old fashion, pay her no mine ect. I so desired that my children would apply the teaching of the Savior in there lives and from generation to generation that they took the role as Mothers and Fathers to heart. I so cherish my role as a Mother...I know that my children were sent to me. It was my role, my responsibilty to be a good example, a good person, a teacher, a good mother to them. The answer to my prayers were to draw closer to the Lord. To teach my children how to listen to the spirit, to make my home a place where the spirit will dwell. I am so thankful for my Heavenly Fathers great love for me and the blessing he so extended to me..the gift of becoming a MOTHER...

"All that I am or ever hope to be, I owe to my angel Mother." -- Abraham Lincoln (1809-1865)

"God could not be everywhere and therefore he made mothers." -- Jewish proverb

"Of all the rights of women, the greatest is to be a mother." -- Lin Yutang

"The heart of a mother is a deep abyss at the bottom of which you will always find forgiveness." -- Honore' de Balzac (1799-1850)

"My mother was the most beautiful woman I ever saw. All I am I owe to my mother. I attribute all my success in life to the moral, intellectual and physical education I received from her." -- George Washington (1732-1799)

"By and large, mothers and housewives are the only workers who do not have regular time off. They are the great vacationless class." -- Anne Morrow Lindbergh (1907- )

"The mother's heart is the child's schoolroom." -- Henry Ward Beecher (1813-1887)

"Youth fades; love droops, the leaves of friendship fall; A mother's secret hope outlives them all." -- Oliver Wendell Holmes (1809-1894)

"I remember my mother's prayers and they have always followed me. They have clung to me all my life." -- Abraham Lincoln (1809-1865)

"The most important thing a father can do for his children is to love their mother." --Author Unknown

Grandmas are moms with lots of frosting. --Author Unknown

Grandmothers are just "antique" little girls. --Author Unknown

A grandmother is a babysitter who watches the kids instead of the television. --Author Unknown

Becoming a grandmother is wonderful. One moment you're just a mother. The next you are all-wise and prehistoric. --Pam Brown

Grandma always made you feel she had been waiting to see just you all day and now the day was complete. --Marcy DeMaree

Grandmas never run out of hugs or cookies. --Author unknown

Grandmas hold our tiny hands for just a little while, but our hearts forever. --Author Unknown

If becoming a grandmother was only a matter of choice, I should advise every one of you straight away to become one. There is no fun for old people like it! --Hannah Whithall Smith

Grandmother - a wonderful mother with lots of practice. --Author Unknown

2 comments:

Shelley Crowther said...

cute!

Julie said...

Thanks for the beautiful thoughts on "mothers". Happy Mothers Day! Wishing you the best day ever!